Pros and Cons of “Double Outcome” Bets

“Double outcome” (or “double chance”) is a quite popular type of bet. Sometimes it’s also referred to as “against the opponent”, as essentially, it’s not betting on a specific outcome but rather on the absence of a certain outcome. For example, with “1X”, you need the away team not to win, with “X2” – the home team not to win, and even with “12”, it’s important that there’s no draw. This type of bet has many fans, but there are also those who like to criticize “double outcome”. Let’s delve into its pros and cons.

Less risk. An obvious advantage of this type of bet is the reduced risk. With it, you only need one out of three possible outcomes to occur. Typically, the probability of a win increases by approximately two times, meaning players experience failures much less often.

Probability of winning. The chance of a double outcome winning doubles, all else being equal. For instance, if evenly matched opponents meet, then the probabilities of outcomes are distributed evenly. The home team’s victory would have a 33.3% chance, while “1X”, including a draw, would have a 66.7% chance. And your bet still wins. However, all calculations need to be adjusted for the bookmaker’s margin, which they rely on to operate. They typically take at least 2% of the total, sometimes even more.

Accessibility. “Double chance” is not exotic at all. While it may not always be directly presented in main betting lines, it’s usually available in the general list of markets for most sports events on betting websites. The main condition is that the sport and tournament regulations allow for the possibility of a draw. If only one side can win, such a market simply doesn’t make sense.

However, there are certainly some downsides:

Low odds. The main drawback stems from the main advantage. Since the probability of winning with a “double outcome” is significantly higher, the odds immediately become much lower. Bookmakers are not fools and won’t easily offer high returns for “passable” outcomes.

Additionally, successfully predicting outcomes in “double chance” bets often requires extensive research and analysis. For novice bettors, this level of preparation can be daunting and time-consuming. Moreover, even with thorough research, there’s always a level of uncertainty involved in sports betting, making it a risky endeavor regardless of the type of bet chosen. As such, while “double outcome” bets offer a lower risk profile compared to traditional single outcome bets, they still require careful consideration and strategic planning to be profitable in the long run.

Leave a Comment